Saturday, December 6, 2008

1996

Greetings and Salutation:

Whatever a salutation might be?! Or as we of the southern culture say “Howdy Y'all!”

Another season is upon us, one of typical organized confusion and mayhem. Where the ever constant question is “What should we get so and so? And consequently, did we already give that to so and so last year?" This brings to mind (ever thinking) the need for a new heading in the yellow pages; Christmas Consultant or maybe CPA – (Certified Present Accountant) someone to organize and simplify for the unorganized and befuddled (me!). This way the chance of making the unfathomable foopah of giving someone a Deluxe box of Quaker Oats one year and doing the same the next could be avoided. So those of you who received duplicate gifts from us this year (the lucky few) don’t feel slighted, it’s just after spending the extra on the DELUXE Quaker Oats, we didn’t have funds for the services of a much needed Christmas Consultant. Now for the annual accounting of where are they now and what have they been doing.

This past Christmas was the Tidwells’ last as a complete family. Daddy passed away the night before Valentine’s. As I told him that night, the job's done, it’s time to go to the next job. This has always been the way of we in construction. His life was a testimony to his beliefs, he always gave 110% and was always there when anybody - family, friend or stranger - needed help. I could write volumes on lessons I’ve learned from him – but my words fall woefully short of my feelings. Gone but never to be forgotten.

My mom has held up well this year; in some ways better than we kids. The non-relenting trips to dialysis and the doctors office continue but she’s hanging in there. I just hope to still know which continent I’m on when I get to Mothers stage in life.

Susan’s Mom is another one hanging tough down in Florida still – putting up with all those Northerners who take over the state this time of year. She’s built up some amount of immunity to them, as with any disease, as also we cultured southerners have to un-couth red-neck riff-raff… yup! yup! yup! I sop my biscuits with my pinkie in the air and always wipe my chin with the cuff of the opposite sleeve. Such affluence!!!

Susan’s still at Fannin Regional Hospital. She completed her schoolin’ this year and passed a test of some importance to become certified. I’d always considered her certifiable, but this makes it official I guess. She and Carrie have taken on major remodeling at the house. As you know, carpenters never work on their own homes – in the union by-laws somewhere.

Carrie is 14 going on 21 this year. Y'all with kids understand this. So we adults have to watch our P’s and Q’s. She's doing real well in school, piano is sounding great and her anticipation on being able to drive is unbearable. All in all, a good typical teenager.

Melissa, Andy (captain Nemo as we land lubbers know him) and Kyle (the little swab) are doing just great. Word is that Andy was in port just long enough that we’re probably getting another little tadpole on the way. They’re still stationed at King’s Bay near Jekyll Island and have settled in nicely. Melissa is taking college courses and Kyle is a normal terrorizing tot.

I’m presently serving my time in Flagstaff, AZ. Been here since last of October trying to get a Cracker Barrel restaurant out of the frozen and snow covered ground. But there are few places I have ever been more beautiful and full of diversity. The people are friendly and the landscape is breath taking. I’ve found something very interesting here. These people are so biased against those, and I quote “Damn Californians”. I muse at the thought of one region having adverse feelings against another geographic area. How unique! Would have never thought of such?! Of course I’m still trying to teach these backward people that “yonder” is a bonafide distance on the map and that a “holler” is just a little smaller than their “Grand Canyon” and not just what you do to the hogs to slop. They just need a little education out cheer.

I’ve procrastinated about writing this year, but did finally set my thoughts (so few and far between) to paper. If I could summarize – we’re OK – hope all of you and yours is too! And if you hear about the Jeff Foxworth guy – he stole all that from me.

Hope Christmas and the New Year bring you happiness and contentment throughout the year.

Buddy, Susan, Carrie, Melissa, Andy, Kyle, and ???