Monday, December 8, 2008

1998

Greetings and warm wishes to all of y’all from Buddy (and wife, chillin and grand chillin) here in the South. It’s getting much too short a time from one Christmas to another, obvious since I know I just finished my last annual letter. It’s bad when you just write one letter to folks a year and you get writers block! This year you receive my greetings from the state of Mississippi, it took me awhile to figure out when spelling this state’s name, just keep doublin every other letter and if in doubt throw in a couple of more vowels. Since we Southerners are accused of draggin out our speech and addin more syllables, why not just double up a bunch of consonants in a states name and really give em sumthin to talk about. I’ve been here about a month, starting a Pilot Travel Center. Knew I was in a good part of the country when the Building Inspector came to the job, brought the building permit to me, stuck out his hand and said “HOWDY” and I replied “HOWDY HOWDY!” (this one phrase can always bring a cringe and rolling of the eyes from my teenage daughter Carrie.) But then again I still haven’t conquered the word “CO^O^OOL” she and Susan say. One other very notable item about being here in Mississippi is that a very special person who brought many, many laughs to me was from here, Mr. Jerry Clower. Jerry (The Mouth of the South) passed away the past fall. Another great loss to humanity and one of those who know how to bring a smile and warmth without stooping to vulgarity. I have given copies of some of his tapes to some of our dear northern friends and with them an understanding of southern culture. Now they can talk intelligently about coon huntin, rat killins, and Baptist dunkins (we Methodist just sprinkle, figure that’s close enough).

Susan’s now working in Ellijay and not having to drive so far, hope you all sold your stock in Goodyear before the job change. She’s still a professional paper shuffler (Medical Records Specialist) but in a smaller office. Smaller is better as I’ve always professed, in business and whatever… Her ability to be my sympathetic ear when I’ve had a bad day/week/month amazes me. For all of you who have someone like this at home, you know what I mean and for those of you that don’t. I have mean dogs surrounding my house, while I’m out of town and I’ve taught them to kill for fun and sport!

Carrie gave Susan and I a gift this year of going up the Blue Ridge Parkway and on to Washington, D.C. with us. I know how this will make most teenagers cringe and want to send her condolences, but she put on a good front as if she really enjoyed the trip. We hadn’t been on a vacation for a couple of years or more and it really was a joy for all of us. Of course every and I mean every VW Beetle that was in eyesight was pointed out on the trip with all the pros and cons of color selection and what flower was on each dash. I pointed out that marrying well would probably bring about quicker results in luxury car purchases, as a rich son-in-law might butter up the father-in-law with a pretty new pick-up. Just a thought (Not Susans!)

Our other chillin Melissa, Andy, Kyle and Madison are still down in King’s Bay at the Navel Base. Melissa is into this, that, and about a dozen other things, including college classes, cleaning houses, and all the social things submariner’s wives do together. I’ve never had that much energy, and Kyle and Madison, my four year old grandson and precious one year old granddaughter run rings around her, literally. I wish they were closer to see more of all of them. Of course having a son-in-law close by when something heavy needs moving wouldn’t hurt either.

Both my Mom and Susan’s Mom seem to be doin pretty good considering the life we kids, grandkids, and great grandkids have put them through. We’ll all be together this Christmas up here in the hills and quite a clan that will be. The fates have brought together a family and given me more than I could ever have hoped for in life.

My Friends, Partners, a name I call many people, not just because I’m bad on names, but because as I tell my co-workers, we’re all in this together. What I believe they don’t understand is that I don’t just mean in a business sense. My business is my life, trying to seize the moment, knowing second chances are far between and we really won’t pass this way again. It’s funny as you get older (so I’ve heard from my sisters) you get to understand the meaning of more clichés.

Very few of y'all got down to see us last year! We won’t make you eat chittlins or pigs feet or hog jowls, maybe some turnip greens, taters and grits with red eye gravy. But hey, I’ve got to like those stale doughnuts they brought from New York, with some cream cheese, it ain’t half bad. Well, if you can’t come, e-mail us or write and send pictures (we want to see how much gray hair y’all have got or if you’ve still got hair left at all).

Merry Christmas from the Tidwells

Buddy, Susan, Carrie and the Clan