Monday, December 16, 2013

2013

Howdy and Merry Christmas!!

                 Welcome to the 24th annual recap and verification that I am still kickin!! Although there was a rumor going around this year that I turned 60....I think it is in metric years as most days I still think I am a 24 year old apprentice wondering what I will be when I grow up. I think most of us guys are like that but we bluff pretty good when the wives are around. 2013 has gone by quickly but once again has brought us new friends and thankfully most all our accumulated friends are still kickin too. Susan and I have traveled to Kentucky and Tennessee, building two Navy Federal Credit Unions this past year after finishing up a Chick-fil-a in Chattanooga and are currently in an unfamiliar location while I work on my next assignment, a Chase Bank.............we are HOME!!! The camper seemed a little sad when I leveled her up here at the house.......but she knows it is just a matter of time before we take her on new and exciting excursions under the guise of work. But I must say, being HOME is wonderful, especially here at the Holidays to be close to family.
                  Speakin of the clan....they are all in  peak form. Melissa and Keith's brood are scattered and they are left with Madison and Rachael still holding the home together while Sarah and Kyle are both in college down in Kennesaw. Keith continues to travel here and there at times for his job and Melissa is still in college also in Kennesaw keeping an eye on her fellow college mate kids.  Rachael is still doing an outstanding job in drama and chorus while Madison is broadening her life with  a robotics class and still enjoys her photography.
                   I can't express to ya'll the joy of seeing the diversity of things that our two chillin and all their spouses, and significant others get out and explore....none of them are timid to try about anything.....some things past my boldness level, like sky diving. I wanted to expand  Melissa and Carrie's experiences a little so I sent them on a zip line tour at a place west of Atlanta as a little way of letting them know what my greatest joy has always been and still is.........being their Dad. I think they had a good time and we lived vicariously through their adventure.
                   Carrie, Daniel and Tasha (dog) have been in their new home for a year now and are enjoying the joys of home ownership...like cleaning out the gutters, mowing the grass, etc. The neverending "to do list" we all share. I have been trying since 1975 to finish up my house....getting closer......
                   One other major event came around this year also, along with my 60th, Susan's award for putting up with me for 40 years of marriage......I'm all for awards.......just no bonuses.......atta girls are free! We pulled out a bunch of our photo books at the anniversary party the kids threw for us and the books are looking a little worn around the edges and the pages are yellowing......wonder how that happened??? Like I said, I am still 24......more or less........ But the lifetime of experiences and memories, I could spend the rest of my days on this earth just dwelling on and would go with a huge smile  when my time does run up.
                    I want to share a snippet of my life this past year that came about when my grandson Kyle called me up and asked if he could come bounce some ideas off me about a project he was given at college. It was to design, build and put into action a Pumpkin Chunkin machine/contraption. I should have read the subtext in the request to "bounce" some ideas as " help me build the damn thing!!" He brought his laptop, I my legal pad and we brain stormed (small light rain on my part) how to build the thing......it started as a torsion based design that I suggested would benefit from some leaf springs from a pick up. Ended up being F-150 springs....we SHOULD have got Chevy!! Anyway we worked on it one LONG weekend when I was home from Clarksville, TN, along with some of his fellow students also tasked with the project. I think we used every tool I have in my shop and lots of the junk ( salvaged valuable materials) I have collected over the years (hoarded). The first pumpkin we tried to "chunk" didn't exactly live up to our hopes as it rolled off the side of the contraption.....we duct taped  the pumpkin back together and started  a multitude  of "adjustments" to the design......the kids got to actually hear my expanded construction vocabulary and several eyebrows were raised as they had no idea I knew how to use such descriptive language......we worked into the dark.....the ingenious kids used their i-phone flashlight apps as we made some final adjustments. I would have actually just got a flashlight but what's the fun of that....gotta justify those phones ya know.
                   A couple of weeks later Keith, Melissa, Kyle and the rest of the assigned crew set up "The Widowmaker" I think it was finally named and painted up to reflect and participated in the event that drew the whole school. The many times amended glorified cross bow wasn't an embarrassment but wasn't quite the success we had envisioned in the original brain storming. But that was to me really a side bar to the real lesson....working with Kyle, he learned about determination, the process of making changes to something when it may not work to start with and the fact that their are infinite possibilities. So regardless of the success of the creation it was the process that I hope he will remember....along with working with his Granddad.....and the new words I taught him!!
                  Had a similar request from Sarah my granddaughter who wanted a little help on a project she was tasked with for her sorority.......make a Cinderella carriage mock up for taking photos of folks. This was NOT something I had built before. But Sarah drew it out and between us we managed to get er done. Need to add that one to my resume.
                   What I have learned from being around my daughters and the grandkids is that what is important and what lasts are the experiences we share with our loved ones. Those are the things that will warm us long after the things we have bought and given each other have fallen apart and been discarded. Now you may think I am using this philosophical approach to get out of buying Christmas presents........and that did cross my  mind...but really it's just my way of saying to you my friends and family that what makes all of you special to me is the life experiences that you have given me, that still bring a smile to me and I can draw on them any time of any day. What a great wealth I have in you all (not taxable by the IRS......yet!).
                   So this coming year I am giving you all a task to accomplish....make as many memories as you can with your loved ones......take the kids on a rafting trip.....send your daughters on a zip line adventure........take the whole crew to Dollywood for Christmas........sit around a fire with your grandkids and share stories of their great grandparents that they may not have known.....

                 Mostly I wish for all of you to have a blessed year ahead and know that you are thought of often by your eternal friends, the Tidwell's, livin in the hills of North Georgia. As they say, we'll keep the light on for youins......come see us.

Love y'all,
Buddy and Susan

Follow our goins on at Susan's Blog....very entertaining and has pictures!!