Wednesday, December 17, 2014

2014

Merry Christmas and Season’s Greetings to Family, Friends and those who barely know the Tidwells and Welcome to this the 25th attempt for me to cram a year's worth of doins into approximately 2 pages depending on font and margins!!!! At this point it would be appropriate to insert a smiley face but you get the jest of it, oh shoot just used up a whole paragraph and I haven’t shared a thing…..darn it! (Verbiage used for the young, you others know what I REALLY said)

   It’s been another year of adventures not imagined a year ago, most all in a good sense. I share with you this year from our home on wheels with a hitch in  Rapid City, SD. A place Susan and I visited 2 years ago and didn’t really expect to see until possibly a retirement trip back. My stint at being at home working ended when I got “the call” and put Susan and I on the road to here, arriving on July 4th. Just prior to arriving in town we stopped at a welcome center and two very nice volunteer ladies  shared with us the best place in town to see the fireworks that night would be from Dinosaur hill. On leaving Susan and I wondered if they heard my slight southern accent (another smiley face) and were just messing with us…….sure enough greeting us on the way to our campground was “the dinosaur” on the hill, built interestingly enough by the CCC. My project here is a Love’s Travel Center which I have not built before and is a sprawling 20 acre site just out of town next to Ellsworth AFB. My first day parked in an open field of prairie grass looking at plans on the tailgate of my truck I hear a rumbling and look over my shoulder to see a B1 bomber banking hard right over my head, not something I normally see. They have been neighbors I have been proud to have along with B52 bombers occasionally. They even invited us over to see them one weekend, afternoon tea of sorts.

   While here Susan “celebrated” her 6 decades of hanging out and our 41st year of hanging out together. The girls threw a shindig at home for her to celebrate her 6/10 of a century when we came home for a visit and Melissa even flew out to surprise her also as mom was a little home sick for family I think. Melissa, Carrie and Daniel have all come to visit us out here and we have shared some of the spectacular beauty of the area with them. Once again we are impressed not only by the beauty of the geography but of the people, a hearty resourceful bunch of folks and friendly as can be. I recommend to any of you that have the time to put this on the bucket list of places to visit but I would recommend coming NOT in the winter unless you like sub -zero weather and lots of snow. We heard horror stories when we got to town of the blizzard that hit October 3rd of last year. We actually broke the record this year for the earliest snow ever….lucky us! Susan headed home before Thanksgiving to get some things ready for Christmas and to keep warmer I think. I will be out here till sometime in March and should have some interesting stories for next years letter I imagine.

  Now for the review of the kin/clan. All are doin well……………..there………….enough info? Well ok, for those who’ve just got to have the details…..

   Melissa and Keith are still running in high gear. Melissa made us all proud by graduating from Kennesaw State and landing a job right out of the door with a group that allows her to do a lot of her work from home helping clients such as Microsoft…..maybe I should sent a letter/card to Bill G. and his wife…Hmmmmmm. Keith has been trying out a few different variations of his job to find the best fit and thinks he has it now so as to be closer to home and not in say California for weeks at a time. Hearing about stuff from out there is one thing but going to stay…..I don’t think so.

   Carrie and Daniel continue to settle in to home ownership as a new shiny riding lawnmower is now parked in the yard, the number of chew/throw toys has grown for Tasha to hide in the pine straw and I hear new curtains are coming…..oh my how domestic. Was just the other day we were buying her a play stove powered by a light bulb. Carrie’s day job continues in Jasper and she has expanded her night job as a physical trainer and health guru which takes her traveling at times to Vegas and such to stretch I assume. Uh huh……

   The grandkids…..now the story gets diverse (another smiley)….

Kyle is doing a dual major……going to school and working to survive! He just came up this weekend I understand scavenging for furniture for a new place he moved into in Kennesaw. He is working with Keith and sounds like he has found a niche that fits him. Thank goodness he has a job that keeps him out of the mud, cold and rain, unlike some of us that SHOULD have stayed at Georgia Tech (by the way who BEAT GEORGIA!!!!!!!!!!) sorry……..now where was I…..oh yeah did I mention we BEAT GEORGIA!!!!!!!!! Sorry, we don’t get to say that but once every ten years but by God when we do…….we savor it!!!! And on a side note what makes me proud is that all my kids and grandkids root for them as well….genetic.

   Now on to Sarah who is quite the self-sufficient girl. She has taken on life like it’s not a big deal. She and Matt are tight and yet do their own things and it seems to work. She is smart in knowing that this time in school is where you pin down what the rest of us are still trying to figure out…..what am I supposed to be doing for my life……..but she radiates confidence that makes us proud.

   Ms. Racheal turned 18 this year and made a move to broaden her horizons and is going to finish up at Pickens High this year and is enjoying the diversity of their choral offerings at which she is phenomenal. First time I heard her perform singing I was floored at her tonal quality and ability to project. She was blessed by not being a blood line Tidwell or she would NOT have that voice!! Not even a shower stall helps my cat a-walling, take my word for it.

   Madison……how to describe her….again diverse…very talented in taking on WAY too much for a girl her age…but she gets that honest from Melissa. She is also finishing up high school this year and has been doing the college visit thing to try and determine what fits her best both academically and socially. Not like me who only applied at Tech and was floored when they accepted me….but then again back then they weren’t so picky…. No matter where she goes I am sure she will excel just like her siblings, they all have the right stuff and I could not be prouder of all my kin. Wish Mom and Dad could be here to share my pride but I hope they are looking down with a smile.

   The year has been a good urn as they say for the Tidwell clan, we have added to our adventure with our trip out to South Dakota and being able to share it with family and friends through Susan’s blog, which I will add an address to later. She posts lots of pics and observations on a regular basis where I sit down one night a year to peck out a 2 page letter of summary.  I saw a show we watch regularly called The Middle last week that referenced a Christmas Letter coming and it was hilarious. The young one on the show opened up the card and in amazement saw there was a letter inside and was astounded that someone would tell all about their family in it, which in response the Mom said, oh we usually just throw those out. I apologize in advance to the trees I have caused harm to over the years in writing these, but all I can say folks is too bad….you will continue to get these each year and if nothing else they should make a good fire starter or something to put in the parakeets cage.

   As time has gone by the multitude of ruts in the field we once followed in search of the far side of the field has narrowed down, we have made the turn at the far end and now we are headed back to the barn as it were. I don’t think I would change a thing in how we have got to where we are today as I would not want to take a chance in having not known all of you. Each of you fill a unique place in our life that nobody else could fill and for better or worse YOU have made our family who we are and we thank you greatly, for I don’t think I could be any prouder of my kin as I am sure you are of yours. I take a lot of joy in seeing postings on Facebook from friends and family of their kids, spouses, pets and such as I feel the pride and Love they have for them.

   So just know that as I brag a little on my crew I feel just as much pride in calling y'all our friends…..for life.

   As always we would love to see y'all but call and see where in the world we might be cause you might have to drive a spell to get to us, but we would love to have you. And write your own letter and send…………I for one would LOVE to hear all about Your Pride and Joy!
 
 Your friends and family,
  Buddy, Susan and the Clan.