Thursday, December 20, 2018

2018



MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM THE TIDWELLS

Welcome to the 29th edition of The Tidwell review. Hard to believe it has been almost 30 years ago since I first set down and pecked out a letter to send to our family and friends to just share news and a few stories of the goins on in our lives and to let you know we are still kickin……although not as high anymore and with less vigor. And with some medicinal aids……..for the KICKIN I mean!!   And now I have some competition from grandchildren and the like who also write annual Christmas letters which I read with a big smile knowing they enjoy sharing as do I the ups and downs of the kin.

This has been a mixed bag as usual with great joys and great sorrow.  I’ll throw out the sorrow first as I plan on trying to put smiles on your faces and not tears for the most part…… My oldest sister Kay passed away this year which is one of those things you know is coming but are never ready for. But she has left behind a large family to carry on her legacy of caring for folks and animals. I will miss her greatly…..

Some of the good news, we added to the kinfolk with engagements, marriages and births………not necessarily in that order…..

My grandson Kyle got hitched to his long time mate Allison, My granddaughter Sarah got engaged to her forever mate Matt, and another granddaughter Racheal made me a proud Great Grandfather of Lillie with her partner Isaiah. My other granddaughter Madison I think really enjoys  being an aunt for now but I see parenthood as being a job she is made for and I hope with her long time main squeeze Curren who we in the family already think of as kin.

Melissa and Keith have found grandparenthood is a pretty cool job and have embraced it with enthusiasm like they do in all family matters. Melissa, now working for herself in an IT contracting/consulting business and traveling across the nation for clients. Keith still working mainly out of Metro Atlanta but occasionally also having to travel for his employer. Seems I am not the only one that has to follow work across the nation. Just glad they don’t have to stay for months at a time.

Carrie and Daniel are living the Tiny life now in their tiny home. They seemed to have adapted pretty well and are making the most of it. For now they are set up not far from us here but may someday head out to other parts to explore this great country. Just great having them close by.  I really do LOVE having my family close……they are my life.

We just got back from our annual  trip up to Pigeon Forge and Dollywood and had a spectacular time with all. Was a shorter trip than usual for Susan and I as I have been very lucky to be assigned some projects back here in Georgia since I finished up the Loves project in Kentucky this past year. To say I was  THRILLED to get back home is an understatement. And also got to come and work with some of my most favorite clients, the fine folks at Pinnacle Bank in Elberton, Ga. I finished up two remodels there and am currently on a new Pinnacle Bank in Franklin Springs, Ga, also one of my old stomping grounds….lots of good folks.

Susan carries on with her transcription work and both she and I have countdown clocks to retirement clicking down to this time next year when I hang up my suspenders and hard hat. It’s been quite a ride but I am ready to catch up on a few home projects and have more time to spend with the current grandkids and great grandkids and future ones possibly coming in the not too distant future….I suppose…..

My Grandson Kyle and his wife are planning on building  back here next to the Tidwell forest to add to the labor force for splitting firewood and such and I hope I can lure a few more back to the mountain. Just nothing like having family close by to share this life we live. The joy they have all brought us can’t be measured and I am selfish and want to have them close by all the time. When I come home from these annual trips we take to the mountains these  past few winters I feel quite a hole when I arrive back home and don’t have them to see just by walking out a door. And something I look forward to is doing some traveling to locations where you our friends have ended up to visit with  y'all also again. Time has passed so quickly but I still feel the same warmth for all of you , Susan’s and my lifelong friends we have made in our travels.

Now there is still property here on the mountain , although the tax appraisers seem to think there is literally gold under all our feet, we sure would love for y'all to move closer by…….with me being home all winter I will need a LOT of firewood split and stacked ……..and friends and family are all welcome to come let me show you the basis of how it is done…picture Tom Sawyer painting that fence…for a nickel I’ll let  you try it. Susan would love to have some quilting assistance also I know….lots of baby quilts to be made…

We miss you all and hope our little letter finds you well and being warmed by your family close by………but know there are warm thoughts here in Georgia of you all and we look forward to the day we can share them in person.

We Love You All………….Buddy and Susan